'If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies!'

April 09, 2015

throwback thursday

I grew up in a Portuguese house and that alone says a lot...Portuguese are generally spontaneously happy and sociable persons, well the ones I know are. We are also commonly very noisy, we talk a lot, we eat a lot or maybe not the new generations with all the be fit, be healthy, be thin blabla. I was raised for a part of my life by my grandparents with my brother in Portugal as my mom and dad worked hard to make a living, I didn't know back then how hard but now that I'm all grown up I can see how much of a struggle that might have been. Growing with grandparents has its perks but it also has its bad sides but that's not what you remember really when thinking of it later in life. All in all I did have an amazing time with them and a very special youth.

When growing up we changed country with my bro and joined our mom in Switzerland, we lost a bit touch with the family that was there but we would go there anytime possible for holidays with the family, the sun and the sea....I do miss the sea a lot around all these stunningly beautiful mountains.


My grandparents having lived a long life and being in their oldies, they joined us here and that was strange after such a long time but nice to know they were around. I must admit I'm not much of a family person but even though I don't always say it or even show it, it makes me happy to know they are around and/or at reach. I will always be there for them if they need me but I might not inquiry if they do if they don't speak for themselves.

I realised yesterday that my grandmother was 84 and my grandfather 86, I wouldn't have said that much. Even though I'm very bad with ages, this fact really surprised me as I don't give much importance to age I never really ask myself how old people are and in one week time i realised that my loved one are getting older and they inevitably they will fall asleep one last time at anytime. I feel sad, sad that it took me so long to realise this and I say this despite having no regrets, I mean I don't have any unsaids or undones that I missed but why does it have to take the loss of a dear one for us humans to realise how rich we all are. I lost my dear gramma this week and I am sad I will never see her again or talk to her again but I am happy at the same time, she had a long life and her old age was a difficult time for her...now she is finally peaceful and resting. 


I truly realised even though I am sure somehow I might forget with time and our stressy lifes that we are rich by the people we surround ourselves with. It might be family, friends, loved ones...whoever it is we should always remember that they are there and even if like me you're not always good at showing it...try to at least sometimes, never tak anyone or anything you love for granted, they might just not be there anymore tomorrow.





To all my family members (the ones above&the others, the ones who read English please pass it around to the ones not on Facebook) but also to all my dear friends and anyone else dear to my heart (you know who you are), I have to tell you that I really love you all and that I am here might you ever need me and that does not only mean in case of trouble ;)

I might be silent but I did not forget any of you and I wanted you to know it!



Special note to my stepdad, I will translate but what can I say...my brain thinks in English! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment